Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Correction/Amendment

I may be alot of things, but pig-headed is not one of them. (Well, it's less so then when I was younger, but that's not important) I am not one to avoid admitting when I'm wrong. And I was a bit wrong about Beck's The Information. I accused the man of laziness. Upon repeat listenings, I've come to the roundabout conclusion that this is possibly the record he has put the MOST effort into since Odelay in 1996. The first half does have that familiar Beckish wrap/pastiche vibe about it, but flip to side 2 and the influence of producer Nigel Godrich becomes far more apparent. In fact, if it's the subdued wrap over glitchy, Radiohead-esque (who would've thought) beats of 'We Dance Alone' or the Captain Beefheart aping chaos of 1000BPM or the ultra cool morbidity of the climactic 'Horrible Fanfare/Landslide/Exoskeleton', this record sees Beck pushing new boundaries. This doesn't make it his best record, but it certainly puts it up alongside Odelay, Midnite Vultures, Seachange and Guero as one of his strongest offerings.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home